Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to bee keeping. I got my first bees 8 days ago. I live in Texas so things have already started blooming for awhile. The bees seem to doing well they are bringing in. Pollen. So my question is when do I stop using Pro Sweet and Sugar water? Also I have my hive about 10 yards to the pond but there are trees between is that ok? When should I see comb being comb. Also do I need a mice gaurd? I know that's allot of questions. But I have been doing allot of reading and watching YouTube. I have tried to find someone that has bees that could be willing to mentor me. But know one does around were I live. And I live way out in the country. The closet large town is 1 hour away. I cannot drive because of health issue. I tried the closes bee club and asked if they knew of some around where I live and they didn't know anyone. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Feeding 1:1 sugar syrup to a new colony should continue until all foundations are drawn out, or until a nectar flow begins and the bees ignore to syrup. When there is sufficient nectar coming in the bees will stop taking syrup. If you started with a package of bees you should see comb being drawn out to a cell depth in which a queen will lay in 3 days or less. Depending on the type of bee you have you can expect to have 10 frames drawn in 3 or 4 weeks.

With a pond close water should not be a problem.

A mouse guard is not needed until winter, and if you are using an entrance that is 3/8 " high, mice usually don't enter the hive.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If your in Arlington as your profile says, you're in the midst of about 3 million people? I would echo what AR said but will add, you may reconsider using the prosweet and just run with correct ratio syrup. To be honest, I have never used pro sweet, but most any additive I have tried has brought some level of robbing and you don't want to deal with that right now. I havent used anything other than syrup for about 5-6 years now.

If you're not in Arlington what county if you don't want to give a close town? Someone may know of a beek near you willing to help you out. Many beeks around (including in Arlington) that aren't on here or in a club.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
A mouse guard is not needed until winter, and if you are using an entrance that is 3/8 " high, mice usually don't enter the hive.
Where I'm at, them little buggers will chew the snot out of wooden entrance reducers until they -can- get in. Nothing like getting to the bottom board to find a ball of grass with two beady little eyes peering out at you.

(The internet is destroying my grammar.)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
All mouses are local. I don't put on mouse guards until fall when they start to cluster and have taken them off already. I suppose the correct advice would be to have them on until hive is big enough and it's warm enough to have guard bees at their post. J

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your in Arlington as your profile says, you're in the midst of about 3 million people? I would echo what AR said but will add, you may reconsider using the prosweet and just run with correct ratio syrup. To be honest, I have never used pro sweet, but most any additive I have tried has brought some level of robbing and you don't want to deal with that right now. I havent used anything other than syrup for about 5-6 years now.

If you're not in Arlington what county if you don't want to give a close town? Someone may know of a beek near you willing to help you out. Many beeks around (including in Arlington) that aren't on here or in a club.
No I don't live there anymore. I live about 60 miles from Waco. The town I live in is very small. The closes decent size town is Waco.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I no longer live in Arlington. I live about 45 minutes from Waco. I sent an email to the closest Bee club which was in Waco. There response was they didn't know one in my area. They suggested I come to there club meeting. But I am disabled and I can't drive. I am watching YouTube and allot of reading which has helped alot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts