Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am considering to do a few more splits before the end of the season and would like to get a few opinions and feedback on this idea.
We live in a subtropical environment and there is quite a bit of drone brood still in the hives which makes me think that it should be still ok to do.

When would it be too late in the season to make walk away splits?
I have made some splits with purchased queens, but I was hoping to try the walk away method. The 2 frame mating nuc would be my method of choice.

Thank you very much once again and have a great weekend!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I think you have passed the point of being able to get a walk away split made and built up unless your climate provides for very mild winters. Here in Virginia, I use beginning of August as the last walk away split date and end of August for last split with an already mated queen. You are in my September.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

we have fairly mild winters, usually about 4-6 weeks in the single digits over night, but about 25 degrees C during the day, so T-shirt and shorts pretty much all year around.
I did think the season has progressed a fair bit, just thought if they still making drones, it could be fine.
Happy with my splits of this season, just thought it would be great to try a different technique to be able to do a few more.
Again many thanks! Have a good Sunday.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,430 Posts
if you have comb and can feed try a couple.
late splits need be fed, last year I had 60 frames of honey in the freezer for late swarms catches or late splits.

I would not do the 2 frame spit not enough nurse bees.
Go thru several of your hives looking at "winter prep".
Maybe 1 or 2 are about to swarm or supersede.
Sealed QC I would try,, a 2 frame split,, not so much, but in the end it is up to you , take notes in case it works or does not so you can repeat.

GG

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
If your coldest only gets to the single digits (degrees C), I would certainly be willing to give it a try. My winters get and stay below freezing for days at a time so smaller clusters do not always fair well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts