Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Italians were out bringing in bright yellow pollen today. They are all over the sugar cake on the top bars. When should I start feeding sugar syrup?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Now. If they are light and apt to starve. Otherwise, don't you think they are getting what they need from the sugar cake? Which might be enough until nectar starts coming in from maples and other sources.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Will they keep eating dry sugar as long as they need it? Our weather is going from 70 somedays to 25 or so some nights. Too cold to switch to syrup. I think?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
They'll keep eating sugar until a nectar flow starts, then they'll prefer the better food.

Unless you have reason to believe that your bees are running out of stored food, or you have a new hive and are stimulating wax production to get them to draw comb, it's not necessary to feed in Spring.

·
Registered
557 Posts
They are pretty light. First year hives and it was a rough year--too wet most of the year, two dry part of the year, and a very cold winter. I didn't think we had nectar yet. I didn't know they could use maple for nectar. They are bringing in yellow pollen. My first winter with bees. Also I'm hoping to split one of the two pretty early.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Once the maple flow starts here, feeding isn't necessary.
By the time maples stop blooming, there will be many other things in bloom.

I'd stop feeding for now, and wouldn't start again til after honey harvest time.

Ask the local guys when the flow usually stops. At that time, if you brood boxes have plenty of stored honey, you still don't have to feed.
If they don't you do.

Ask the locals for guidance when think it might be time to start feeding again.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks. I'll stop feeding. I checked them this evening. Think the population is building up fast. Also the Henbit is starting to bloom. Sometimes have a few hundred acres within a mile or so. Not sure if there's much this year but the maples are blooming for sure. Also willows right beside the hives. I think it's really Spring!

Too windy. Couldn't get the smoker lit. They were in a bad mood, so couldn't check their condition very well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts