Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed several NUC's two weeks ago, how long should I wait before splitting them?

Next question.... I have been given a TON of 4.9mm bees wax foundation that I would very much like to use. Can I use the 4.9 as foundation for my honey supers, even though the brood boxes are 5mm foundation? And how should I go about getting my splits switched from the 5mm to the 4.9.

I know lots of questions, and maybe I am just making life more difficult than it needs to bee.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
248 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about making splits until at least next year but... it's not unheard of for first year hives to swarm in the fall if it's a productive queen.

Make sure they always have some open comb and some new foundation to work and educate yourself on what swarm prep looks like--crowded hive and queen cells being built on the lower third of the frames and/or on the bottom bars.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The question is why you are thinking about splitting them. You shouldn't have much worry about spliiting to avoid swarming if you give them enough room to grow this season. Are you considering splitting as a means of increasing your hives?

Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts