Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you who wrap your hives what is a good signal that you use to unwrap?

Spring is almost here in Utah and the days will be warming soon.
Of course I don’t want to chill what small amount of brood may be in the nest but I also don’t want to keep it on too long, this is will be my second spring with the first hive.

Popped the lid earlier this week and there is a huge population in the top box. Covering about 7-9 frames !

Any advice would help

·
Registered
88 Posts
The years I lived in Salt Lake spring didn't dependably start until Memorial Day. You might reverse your brood boxes on May Day (early march if all brood is in the top box) but put the wraps back on until Memorial Day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My thought on it is leave it on as long as possible to help them with spring buildup. Once you have a booming hive who has turned over the population from winter bees and the nights aren't getting to cold you can take it off. I leave the insulation on the top cover on all year. I think it helps. To be honest if it wasn't such a pain in the bum I would leave the insulation that I put on all 4 sides on all summer. I think it would greatly help with temp regulation in the hives. At least help minimize temp swings within the hive. But it's to much of a pain to remove them and put them back on after each manipulation with more than just a couple hives. So I take it off when I reverse hive bodies or when a need comes to inspect the bottom brood box. No later than end of May.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello fellow utahn I do not wrap my hives but I would not unwrap until are low temps get above the high 30 to 40 degree you might chill brood at night time temps good luck with your bees

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello fellow utahn I do not wrap my hives but I would not unwrap until are low temps get above the high 30 to 40 degree you might chill brood at night time temps good luck with your bees
Thanks that’s what I’m thinking . I want to pull it off and check the Lower brood box whenever possible but don’t want to put it back when I do....

How are your hives .

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I only take my wraps off when I see daytime temperatures in the nineties in the forecast. The bees like a warm tight broodnest. I have never had a colony damaged by this approach and they build up strong. I often take off and put the wrap back on multiple times and super with it on too if the colony needs more room. Don't be in a hurry to unwrap.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
I also keep my insulation on as long as possible, even though it means taking it off and reinstalling each time I want to work my hives in the spring. And even after I take it off, I store it close by hives for several weeks for the inevitable night when we get a late freeze. I want night lows to regularly by in the 50s for the foreseeable future before I'll move it to summer storage.

A reliably warm brood nest area keeps the build-up strong and healthy. It seems a shame to waste the irreplaceable resources the bees have devoted to starting brood that gets chilled and then abandoned.

Nancy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts