Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of 5/5 nucs that overwintered and I bumped up into 10 frame boxes. I don't have excess drawn comb for supers, so I've been feeding them syrup and they'be been drawing out comb nicely. I'd like to be able to figure out the tipping point between feeding them to build comb, and when to maximize it for real honey production. At that point, I will spin out the sugar water honey from the supers and put the empty frames back in to start the production work on real honey, I.e. no more feeders)

I'm not good at all about knowing which trees or plants are which, so waitnig for X tree to bloom to put on supers doesn't help me.

how can you tell when a good nectar flow has started. I'm in Ricmond, Va area

Are there any sites or sources of current information about this?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Inspect brood area to make sure there are empty cells for the queen to lay in. They should be a band of polished cells between brood and the edge of capped honey and nectar filled cells. The workers can flood the queen into being unable to lay and start swarm preps.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Sometimes they stop taking syrup. Sometimes they get real heavy, real quick...more than the syrup you were feeding them.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
When bees process a lot of nectar into honey, the natural byproduct is wax. When you see white wax layered on the top bars, that is a sure sign of a heavy flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts