Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Texas it will 80 degrees tomorrow. Thursday morning it's supposed to be 34 degrees. Then going back to 60's during the day, 40-50 at night for a while.

My bees are active hauling in pollen. At 10:30 this morning some are hanging outside the hive (high of 70 today).

Should I wait until the night-time temps stay above 50 degrees before pulling off the reducers? These are established hives (2-3 years old).

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about the temps, the bees’ll be above the entrance and be fairly out of the cold air. The main thing is, is the hive strong enough to defend it on full open. Maybe can you adjust it aside a little to make an alternative entrance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
My approach is better 2 weeks late than 2 weeks too early. Wait until you see serious traffic jams at the entrance most of the time before removing it.*


*Texas beekeeping has little to do with PA beekeeping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Scott, What do you have them at now?

Mine have been 2-3" x3/4" all "winter". I hardly ever run one full open as well, usually to half+. I have various 3/4" lengths I have cut to add if I feel the need.

Already having wasp trouble with these warm temps, so I like the small entrance right now here.

You're right on the pollen, I have 3 types coming in based on just color, inspected 4 hives and they are loaded with pollen/bread and larvae/capped brood everywhere. Syrup/honey stores getting hammered early.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top