Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bees were out like a summer day here. My wife found some dragons beard and the girls had beaten her to it. They must be finding a lot of flowers somehwere, it looked pretty busy at the hives and lots of pollen coming in.

Withe a forecast like this http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CANS0142 and a long range like this http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/cans0142?ref=qlink_lt_14day is it too early to remove the cozies and open up the entrances a bit?

Also when is a good time of year to do splits. These hives all seem very strong to me... maybe they aren't but i really didn't expect they would be this active this fast.

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, maybe spelled worng? the black plastic prefab wraps for winter that you can see there. Its meant to help regulate the hives temperature in cold climates.
I have heard some say to leave them on until its safe to plant your veggie garden, but locally thats typically May 24, thats 8 weeks away and it seems excessive to me, but what do i know, i haven't had the girls a full year yet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as seen here same picture the other two were cropped from

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I use something similar to the cozie but the insulation is only about 3/8 inch thick. Last spring when we had some very warm days in the third week of March, I was concerned they might get overheated and took them [wraps] off. Well, all the hives [3] eventually dwindled away and died, :cry:. They all had small clusters to begin with. This year I waited until March 31st and the new hive is doing well. I don't know for sure if removing the wrap too early was the cause of the hives dying of course.

Eventually you have to do a major inspection of the hives, and to remove the wrap and then replace it seems unnecessary. May 24 does seem too late even for Canada, but I don't live there. If no one responds from your part of Canada, your best bet would be to contact someone at the Nova Scotia Beekeepers Association. >> http://www.honeycouncil.ca/index.php/novascotia_beekeepers

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
When the foragers start bringing branches in, it's time to remove the wraps :D. That must be an entrance reducer? I don't know, the timing of wraps I don't think is even close to critical. The bees don't heat the interior of the colony, just the cluster, so the wraps IMO only take the edge off the bitter coldest nights (which you certainly get up there). However they also are unlikely to harm anything until either nectar foraging/brood rearing needs ventilation or daytime temps in the sun mean the heat from the sun on the wraps make more bees ventilate than necessary (overheating).

I'd take them off when overnight lows are no longer below, I don't know, 30F?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lows may occasionally dip below 30f but not often by the forecast.

The sticks, they are there to prop the plastic cozies up so that they don't block the entrance. The reducers are behind the cozie. Not sure if the sticks were needed but when i put the cozies on it looked like the bees would have a really hard time getting in and out so i proped them up a bit to make a spot for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts