Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to persuade a swarm to move into a trap on Friday (today's Sunday). They seem happy in the new digs, although not yet bringing in pollen. I've seen lots of 'em tackle some intruding mason bees to the ground a few times, so apparently they think what they have is worth defending. :thumbsup:

SO .... about how long should I wait until I make the Big Move for the new colony? Last year I only waited maybe 3-5 days, then moved the trap's frames into a deep and placed it onto the stand. No issues. I've given this group a source of syrup, so maybe I'll get lots of wax development in there.

Thx for any ideas/anecdotes .....

Mitch

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you have the time I'd do it right away. Put another trap or empty that knee and bring it back. My buddy catches dozens every year and many time catches after swarms in the same location. Other than that the longer you wait the heavier they get

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I managed to persuade a swarm to move into a trap on Friday (today's Sunday). They seem happy in the new digs, although not yet bringing in pollen. I've seen lots of 'em tackle some intruding mason bees to the ground a few times, so apparently they think what they have is worth defending. :thumbsup:

SO .... about how long should I wait until I make the Big Move for the new colony? Last year I only waited maybe 3-5 days, then moved the trap's frames into a deep and placed it onto the stand. No issues. I've given this group a source of syrup, so maybe I'll get lots of wax development in there.

Thx for any ideas/anecdotes .....

Mitch
As soon as youre sure they are in the box move them. I left one trap about 10 days and man what a mess its basically a cut out when you go to move them. They had burr comb everywhere. The cavity below the frames was all comb...a hot mess!

·
Registered
592 Posts
"As soon as youre sure they are in the box move them. I left one trap about 10 days and man what a mess its basically a cut out when you go to move them. They had burr comb everywhere. The cavity below the frames was all comb...a hot mess![/QUOTE]"

This is why I started to put 10 frames in all of my traps which are just deeps with a plywood top and bottom and a metal disc entry. I use one old drawn frame and the rest foundation less with starter strips. I used to just put 3 frames in but the bees always ignored the drawn frame and started making comb on the lid of the box. With 10 frames they can be left for a few weeks no problem.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
"As soon as youre sure they are in the box move them. I left one trap about 10 days and man what a mess its basically a cut out when you go to move them. They had burr comb everywhere. The cavity below the frames was all comb...a hot mess!
"

This is why I started to put 10 frames in all of my traps which are just deeps with a plywood top and bottom and a metal disc entry. I use one old drawn frame and the rest foundation less with starter strips. I used to just put 3 frames in but the bees always ignored the drawn frame and started making comb on the lid of the box. With 10 frames they can be left for a few weeks no problem.[/QUOTE]

great idea but thats a heavy trap to bring down from a tree when all 10 frames are built out!

·
Registered
915 Posts
great idea but thats a heavy trap to bring down from a tree when all 10 frames are built out!
I'm going out on a limb here but I'm sure that one or two partials are drawn by the time they are moved. Having the frames in there just keeps them from drawing comb from the top of the box

1 - 7 of 7 Posts