Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now late August. I have 2 supers full of comb and filling fast with nectar - frames are getting quite heavy. Also have a deep and medium hive body pretty full too. Should I continue to apply the 70% rule of adding another super where the super underneath it is 70% full of drawn comb or let them finish up for the season. I am in South Carolina, so we have a nice September still ahead. I don't want the season to end prematurely when there is opporunity to at least draw another super into comb - also don't want a late season swarm or any back filling.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If you have the supers, I'd continue to add them. If you have empty comb I'd use that first, rather than foundation or foundationless frames. If your surplus honey supers have sealed honey, you can simply extract the honey, then return them for the bees to reload.

If you give them more room than they need, the bees can produce more honey, than they could have with more limited comb space. When they have more space to store and process nectar, they can make more honey.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joseph. So you don't think they will slow down finishing the top 2 supers that are not quite filled yet? I just didn't want them to slow down finishing those up since the season was approaching the end.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If the flow is still going, they usually only slow down because they run out of space (empty comb), or places to build more comb. The other main reason they slow down is because the flow is ending. But giving them more space is usually a safe way to cover the odds that the flow is continuing. If after a week or so with additional comb or space to build comb, it should be easy to determine if the flow is continuing, or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. I just put the super back on. Maybe 2 frames were drawn with comb, the other 7 were not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts