Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only a 2nd year beek. Up to 10 hives now with 5 that have supers on them. There is still some nector flow in my area but it is starting to slow down.

What I don't know is when do I pull the supers - what is normal? I do have access to an extractor and will set up a mini-honey house - but do I pull some of the supers now - or wait until the fall?

I guess my question is do most people keep supers on and then just pull them at the end or will they pull supers thru the season and do mutiple harvests?

It would be nice to only set up the extractor and clean it once, but just not sure what to do here.

thanks!!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Like everything else in Beekeeping is it completely subjective!! Some guys pull two or three times a year to get different types of honey, some folks (like me) prefer to harvest once a year...why, I don;t want to clean up that mess more than once!! :D Totally up to you!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My wife & I have been pulling every other week off of our 3 hives. first batch had 40# capped next 50#, & tomorrow should be over 80# ready.

As long as they keep filling them, we'll keep emptying them. The upper deeps are starting to get filled with nectar now as well, & our queens are laying less eggs.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Pull the supers when the amount of nectar coming in is less than the amount of nectar/honey the bees are eating.

Pull the supers and then feed during the dearth. Stop feeding and put the supers back on for the fall flow.

You will get more honey this way. It's more work though.

Or just pull the honey in the fall one time. You'll get less total honey, but you'll only have to clean up one time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts