Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year will be our third season of keeping bees and I have yet to get my timing down as to when is the proper time to place honey supers onto the hives in the spring. I figure this may sound like a stupid question, but it's better to ask than not...So far we've made it through our second winter with some loses but with that behind us we decided to add six more hive to the three we already have and I'd like to find out a general idea as to when others from around central Illinois placed their honey supers.

Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Around here, between dandelion bloom and dutch clover. Clover being the primary honey flow. BUT, there are so many other variables that it's impossible to say when that time is for you. How much honey did you leave on the hives for overwintering? How light are the stores in the spring? How big is the brood chamber? Etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I'll try to make sure this year I'm a little earlier than the past. I know now that I was a little too late getting them on and missed the flow. So far I've always made sure the bees get theirs first and had enough for themselves for winter, before I ever touched a honey frame for myself. Hopefully this year will be better than last. So far this year seems to be starting out better. The past few days there has been quite a bit of pollen (Lt. Yellow and Tan) coming in on all of our hives, just not sure where from.
Thank you again for the information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts