Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I over-wintered a couple of colonies in 5 over 5 nucs side by side in a double deep configuration. I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb for when to move colonies out of nucs into standard 10-frame equipment. I've seen a lot of pollen coming in the last couple of weeks, so I would expect the colony populations to start expanding soon.

I would guess that if it looks crowded during inspection, then it's time to get on with it before they start thinking about swarming. Correct?

TIA

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
If they are crowded, give them more room. I would not more than double their space. If they are filling the boxes with ten frames then don't give them more than ten more. You could add a five frame box (if you have them) or move them to a ten frame box with a ten frame box of frames over that...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb for when to move colonies out of nucs into standard 10-frame equipment. I've seen a lot of pollen coming in the last couple of weeks, so I would expect the colony populations to start expanding soon.

I would guess that if it looks crowded during inspection, then it's time to get on with it before they start thinking about swarming. Correct?

TIA
Correct :D, my rules of thumbs are before they have drawn or filled the tenth frame or bees on at least 8 frames.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Im moving my 6-frame nuc to 10-frame on sunday. They have active brood, not solid brood on 4 frames. Maple flow is strong this year, lots of nectar, pollen and left over stores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts