Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I captured a small swarm no bigger than the slow-pitch softballs in a 5 frame nuc. They almost cover two frames. How long should I keep them there until I move them into a 10 frame hive? I have some drawn comb for them when I make the switch to the 10 frame hive which should help them along but I'm not sure how long to keep them in the nuc.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Until they have drawn out all 5 frames and filled with brood. They will then be crowded and not generally happy to see you. But they will be strong enough to rapidly build up in the 10 frame box.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree, wait till they get most of the 5 frames filled out. I had a small softball swarm like that I caught last week of July last year they went gang-busters and put on 50lbs of honey in sept/oct...outstanding queen. Good luck

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I had a small softball swarm like that I caught last week of July last year they went gang-busters and put on 50lbs of honey in sept/oct...outstanding queen. Good luck
Same here. Caught a small softball size early last year. They just took off. Made a good surplus. These are also my best coming out of winter. Love me some ferals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts