Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When to move captured bees from nuc to 10 frame hive?

3370 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Monie
I captured a small swarm no bigger than the slow-pitch softballs in a 5 frame nuc. They almost cover two frames. How long should I keep them there until I move them into a 10 frame hive? I have some drawn comb for them when I make the switch to the 10 frame hive which should help them along but I'm not sure how long to keep them in the nuc.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,157 Posts
I agree, wait till they get most of the 5 frames filled out. I had a small softball swarm like that I caught last week of July last year they went gang-busters and put on 50lbs of honey in sept/oct...outstanding queen. Good luck

· Registered
4,075 Posts
I had a small softball swarm like that I caught last week of July last year they went gang-busters and put on 50lbs of honey in sept/oct...outstanding queen. Good luck
Same here. Caught a small softball size early last year. They just took off. Made a good surplus. These are also my best coming out of winter. Love me some ferals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.