Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I built a swarm trap and placed it on some property about an hour from my home (apiary) in hopes of adding a second hive. It has 5 foundationleas frames with waxed starter and one frame with waxed foundation. It only took a day to produce what appears to be a swarm. My question is how soon shouid I move the bees into a hive. Since there is no comb for them, should I wait a couple weeks for the bees to build some so the queen can begin laying? Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I guess it will take a week or so for them to build comb for stores since there is no comb in the trap? So maybe 2 weeks total? I don't have the luxury of spending 3 hours to check. I need to grab and go.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
975 Posts
First I would check to see that a swarm has actually moved in.

To move I would wait till dark or early morning, stuff a rag in the entrance and move the whole trap to your yard. No need to take it apart to put in another hive right away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm going to give it till next weekend. Plenty of bees coming and going out of the entrance, but I'm getting second hand reports and short video clips. I'm going to staple some screen over the entrance and bring it home (and put another in its place) if it's heavy and full of bees.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts