Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told I'm to pick up my bees between 7:30 and 8:30 am on Wednesday. Can I hive them immediately after I get home or should I wait until it is sunny and warm out? Will the bees be angry after the hour ride home and should I be giving them a few hours to rest?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Pixie, it is going to be fun. If you have any last minute questions ask Jim or Wendy (his wife) they'll set you right. Wear a sweater in the car and put the A/C on to keep the bees cool and calm. I believe it usually better to hive them in the late afternoon when they are more inclined to settle in for the night. Be sure to read the instructions in the book you got from the U. and make sure you have everything to hand. Exciting isn't it. :) Put a post here after you're done and let us know how it went. Adrian.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pixie, I just checked Jim's blog. The bees are delayed, they are not arriving until Thursday. Adrian.
OMG! Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea. I think I checked yesterday and it still said April 21 and I had no plans to check again so BIG THANKS for letting me know the date had changed!!!

Thank you both for the help. I don't know if it is normal to be this nervous. Not really scared yet (that will happen the night before pick-up. lol!) but very nervous. I think I've walked around my apiary site 20x's today just to make sure it is ok (not too hot, not too cold, close enough to water, level enough, far enough from the neighbors etc...).

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I don't know if it is normal to be this nervous.
I'm not sure that people who deliberately open boxes filled with thousands of stinging insects can be considered "normal" to begin with! Yes, I'd say it's normal to be nervous the first time. It's also very exciting - enjoy every minute of it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have always tried to hive my packages in the late afternoon if possible. That way, the bees seem more inclined to "stay put" for the night. I also use an entrance reducer to make the entrance smaller until the hive begins to get better established. It is fun and it is exciting and it is contagious. You've been infected with "Bee-itus" and its a great thing. :)

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I try to hive later in the day for the above mentioned reasons but my schedule doesn't always let me. I've hived them moments after getting them home early in the morning without an issue. If you're new at it, hive them when you're ready, giving yourself enough time to go slow and relax. If the sun is setting and supper is on the table, you're creating pressure needlessly. Do it when you're ready and you'll be happy! Let us know if you need help or have more questions!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Best of luck. I picked up my package yesterday morning and hived them later in the afternoon. Not quite the anticipation of childbirth, but definitely up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts