Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some nucs arriving tomorrow morning and there is a good chance if rain in the morning and thunderstorms in the afternoon. The next day, Sunday, looks to be about the same. Should I place the nucs on the bottom boards of the hives, remove the screens and transfer them on Monday when things calm down?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If your not going to transfer them the day you pick them up because of weather, I would have the equipment completely set up I would be transferring them to & set the Nucs on top of the top covers, may need a small brick or something to make sure it stays in place. I would open them up regardless, if the weather breaks they will orientate to “there spot”, so when you do transfer them it will be less orientating due to being right under where the nucleus was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have the nucs and no rain. It’s only going to get to around 60 degrees today. Tomorrow in in the 80s. I pulled the screens off and most of the bees seem hunkered down. Should I wait until tomorrow to make the switch to their permanent homes because of the cooler temps or would it be ok today? Was thinking that being in a bigger box that they would have a harder time with the temps both today and tonite.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Honey bees are quite resilient to temperature changes, you could transfer them in 60 degree weather no problem, just be sure to keep the frame order and orientation exactly the same or you might break them up. You do need to be quick about it (don't rush). All you really have to avoid is breaking apart the nuc frame by frame and leaving each frame out all by its lonesome. I see no reason to not go for it.

Also, about heating spaces, the bees only heat the cluster, they do not heat the interior of the hive. The temperature of the air inside the hive away from the cluster is almost the same as the outside temperature. In fact, the extra space provides dead air space between the cluster and the cold outside which is a fantastic insulator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts