Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got my packages this morning from Kelley's. The weather is not in my favor. Highs in the mid to upper 30's. Not much wind and sunny. Tomorrow's highs are going to be in the mid to upper 50's, but overcast and windy. Do I wait till tomorrow or go ahead and do it today?

On a side note. I was an idiot and got my first sting through the screen. Hurt but I didn't have any sort of reaction. Also, big props to Kelley's and the post office. Very cold weather in these parts and still very few dead bees in the bottom. I was getting very nervous.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I have packages to install this afternoon in the rain. The bees will be happier inside their hive than in the package cage. As Camero7 says get feed on them. If it is too early (meaning cold) to feed liquid in your area, feed solid.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So, I just got my packages this morning from Kelley's. The weather is not in my favor. Highs in the mid to upper 30's. Not much wind and sunny. Tomorrow's highs are going to be in the mid to upper 50's, but overcast and windy. Do I wait till tomorrow or go ahead and do it today?

On a side note. I was an idiot and got my first sting through the screen. Hurt but I didn't have any sort of reaction. Also, big props to Kelley's and the post office. Very cold weather in these parts and still very few dead bees in the bottom. I was getting very nervous.
Great to see another Iowa Beekeeper!

I have seven hives, and 4 more packages coming in May. Good luck with your bees!

Leonard

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was in a similar situation yesterday. Picked up my packages at about 45degrees and 6 hours later it was below freezing...anoher 6 hours later and we had accumulated 2.5" of global warming. we can;t change teh weather and worrying about it doesn't seem to help, so we do what we have to do. I not only hived packages, but made a split in the sprinkling rain. the bees were not on their best behavior, but one can hardly blame them.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts

We installed a package April 5th here in eastern Iowa. I think the high was around 40 that day, but was sunny and not very windy. I think they are much less likely to fly when it's so cold, there is some benefit there actually I think. As long as you can get them fed correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. So I hived both packages and everything went alright. One queen cage the cork wouldn't come out so I just direct released her. Do you think this will be okay? They were packaged on Saturday.

Also I forgot to put the pollen patties on. Are they even needed and should I disturb the hive just to put these on. Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you give them syrup or sugar to eat? I usually give them 1/2 of a pollen pattie on the top bars and syrup in a top feeder for new packages.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I warmed up some 1:1 syrup with Pro Health and gave them that after I hived them. I have some pollen patties but just forgot to put them on. Would it be alright to open the lid and slide one in, or should I just leave well enough alone.

I will say it was quite an experience. I think I've got the bug (literally) for beekeeping.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If they have syrup I wouldn't worry about the pollen until it warms up alittle. And direct release of the queen should be OK it works for me anyway.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
When it's warmer in the next few days put that patty on the hives. It will help them get the brood going. If the bees came from Georgia, I would only put 1/2 a patty on the hives so you're not raising SHB. It will take a new package too long to eat it and the SHB will multiply fast. At least that has been my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts