Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year beek here in northeast Alabama.

I took over four existing hives in late June that had not received any attention all spring.

I replaced all of the rotten equipment, and began adding supers to these one deep only hives.

I now have three to four supers on all of them, with the supers mostly full, except for one super on each in which they are continuing to build comb.

The bees are still packing in lots of pollen, but I'm not sure about nectar. I can't smell as much nectar as I could a couple of weeks ago.

What I would like to do is give them two to three more weeks, harvest the full and capped frames, put back the partially filled frames to leave one super on each, and feed until they fill up those up.

Is this a good plan and how would I know when the time is right to harvest?

·
Registered
656 Posts
sounds good to me when do you get your first big freeze.You'll want to have them locked down with plenty of stores for winter before then.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You mentioned feeding them. If you have supers on your hives you shouldn't be feeding the bees. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Drop by the Madison County Beekeepers Association web site when you get a chance. www.alabees.com
We welcome all to our meetings also. Our next meeting is 9 September at the huntsville Botanical Gardens at 6:30 pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts