Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use Sept 1 as my target date to have my hives configured (two deeps) for winter with supers removed. This year I'm not sure because everything is about two weeks early. I plan to leave the majority of the Goldenrod (which is already just starting to bloom here and there) to the bees so I may pull supers a little earlier this year watching to make sure things don't get honeybound. I don't think the Goldenrod is going to last longer than usual which may lead to an early dearth with decent weather yet (eat up stores too early). If the year is any indication, the Goldenrod will probably be good (last year it was almost nothing in my yard). I'm prepared to Fall feed, but would prefer not. I know I need at least one solid deep of honey to winter.

I extract all at once because I add supers all season as I need them. I'm still growing my apiary so I don't mind buying supers. Otherwise, I would extract a couple times and put wet frames back on for a refill. I plan to extract once after the Spring next year depending on the flow. It has been too much work this year taking them off and putting them back on . . . but I'm not complaining! It's been a good year so far.

I am also curious what other Buckeye beeks are doing . . . where are they?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts