Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two supers that are full of capped honey on one hive and one on another hive. Should I leave the full supers on and just add more supers and harvest later or do you pull off those supers and put new frames in to make more comb or put back on the supers after they have been spun out. As this is my first harvest, I have been told that the more comb we have the better for next year so I dont have to have the bees waste time pulling out the comb and can go straight to making honey. Bottom line is that now that I have honey to harvest, not sure what the best thing to do is. Any thought and strategies would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I like to take off honey, extract it and put the supers back on for the next crop. I don't know what is normal in your area.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well...I just keep stacking on top but you can do it either way. :) I only like to harvest once a year since I have to convert my kitchen into my honey house and I only want to clean that mess up once! :lpf:

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Well...I just keep stacking on top
Around here that's a recipe for disaster. If given too large an area for the bees to protect, small hive beetles will get a foothold.
I begin harvesting around the first of June and return those supers to the hives. I may extract three times from a single super in any given season. Two harvestable supers/hive is the most I like to have on a hive at any time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts