Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an offer to do a cut out from a farmer in Iowa. The hive is in a shed on his farm in Northern Iowa and aren't hurting anything so I can get them anytime. Should I try before spring buildup or wait for the nectar flow? This will be my first cutout so I'm sure it will be fun but not trouble free. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael, I'm about 2 hours North of you, near Sioux City. The cut out will be about another forty miles North of me. I got into bees to pollinate my orchard but am having so much fun I'm looking for a few more. I'll go get them when my trees bloom. I had bees make it through the winter in my top bar very well. I've been using your web site religiously. Thanks again, Mark

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
There isn't a "perfect" time, but at least when the fruit trees bloom there will be resources coming in on warm days and likelihood of decent weather most of the time. I might try to salvage a few of the old brood combs that have honey in them, I would not try to salvage any new white wax as it's always fragile and messy. I probably wouldn't do the old brood combs with honey if it weren't for the possibility of getting caught with a week of cold weather and you don't want them to starve. Some pollen from old brood combs might not hurt either, although as long as there is warm weather they should have some. The advantage to that early is most of the comb will be empty and there is less to transfer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good. I think I'll use whatever old comb I can get for swarm traps. I've made up extra five frame nukes [top bar deeps] and a couple in each can't hurt. Should I try keep whatever I can with brood comb or are they just going to die any way? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts