Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently stand at (2) relatively strong hives, and (2) splits. The first is going gang busters, the second is not.

The one that is struggling has a queen. She was mated and did lay for a short period, 2 weeks or so. And then for the last month she hasn't laid any eggs that I have seen.

To compare, the queen in the other split had a full frame of eggs yesterday.

Is it safe to assume she is a bad queen and that is it? There are currently only about two frames of bees in the hive, so I don't know if that is going to be sufficient to make it though winter.

Interestingly enough, the weak hive hasn't seemed to have touched their frame feeder at all.

Do I do better to kill the bad queen and combine them now?

Do I let them ride it out to spring?

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
551 Posts
Do not assume she is a bad queen. Sometimes genetics, population and forage conditions dictate how much she is laying. Queens have fooled me before and acting conservatively and waiting to be sure was my best course of action. Odd they haven't touched the frame feeder. Since you're in Georgia you have options I don't have. I would ride it out in a warm area but feed pollen and sugar syrup (maybe even a sugar slurry to see if they will take it). And be sure they are healthy- no virus load or reason for them to not be going to food. Boost the population if possible. Eliminate excuses for the cluster to be small and a good queen will start to dominate the nest. I was personally fretting about a July mated queen and boosted them with egg frames twice. Sure enough she's fine. Beekeepers worry excessively and sometimes unnecessarily I find.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 1:1 that I have in the feeder now. I thought that maybe the lack of apparent progress on the feeder was due to the lower population. I will look at bumping it up to 2:1.

I did stick one frame of brood from one of the larger hives in just to give them a bump in population.

Lastly, yesterday I completed the 3rd of a planned 5 OAV treatment on each of the boxes. Before starting I only did a wash on one of the larger hives, and counted 7, vs the 1 it washed back in July.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went into the hives over the weekend. Since I last posted, the weak / problem split has absconded. There was some activity inside, but it appeared to be the other hives robbing it out. Primarily they were going after the frame feeder with the 2:1. It was still the better part of half full.

I did think it was interesting that there were a handful of dead bees in the frame feeder. This is the style with the wooden top, with the two plastic mesh wells that hand down into it. I had even stuck a couple of small branches into the plastic wells.

It's my understanding that bees don't drown in strong colonies, but if I didn't know better I'd think these had to be suicidal to drown.

There is already a little bit of wax moth damage. I figure at this point I will freeze the hive and put it into storage, or do I really need to be concerned with it if the frames have been picked clean?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
freeze at least 2 days and store where pests can't get to it for the winter

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,517 Posts
Is there anyway to see the splits for a player over selected years? Like if I wanted to see Arod's clutch statistics with the Rangers Vs the Yankees?
Just curious, what are you talking about?

·
Registered
184 Posts
He's being sarcastic and using a baseball reference regarding breaking down or splitting statistics. A split in baseball statistics might be what was Babe Ruth 's batting average versus right handed pitchers and versus left handed pitchers.

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
Maybe, but that does not explain this post on the mouse guard thread.

The purpose of the GM/Player cycle is to regulate narrative tension. If things slow down too much in the GM turn, it's probably time to switch to the player's turn, and vice versa. In fact, knowing when to switch comes down to this

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
Maybe he is smoking his smoker fuel.
More likely a spammer that knows something about bees. Looked at the other posts by this person and edited out spam links in four of the eight posts. Giving them a very small amount of leeway so if they wish to continue having discussions about bees, they are free to do so. Best not to do something that gets the attention of a moderator if one wishes to fly under the radar.

·
Super Moderator
11,059 Posts
More likely a spammer that knows something about bees. Looked at the other posts by this person and edited out spam links in four of the eight posts. Giving them a very small amount of leeway so if they wish to continue having discussions about bees, they are free to do so. Best not to do something that gets the attention of a moderator if one wishes to fly under the radar.
I found more spam links, and he is now banned. (He had edited some posts AFTER posting and added spam links (in a small gray font), apparently trying to hide the spam. :devilish:

Some spam is meant to be acted upon by the viewer, i.e, get you to click the link and buy something. But some spam links are more meant for the major search engines like DuckDuckGo or Google to 'see'. Those search algorithms assign a higher profile to a site that is referenced elsewhere. So, a link on Beeseource to a site elsewhere is valuable even if nobody here ever clicks the link, as just the mere presence of the link at Beesource tends to raise the search visibility of the site the spammer is promoting.

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
Good info Graham. I had to delete another kodi nox spam link yesterday. These guys can sure keep a moderator on his or her toes!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have no idea about these spammers, but it didn't seem to be an issue until the format upgrade. Does that have anything to do with it or are they just trying a new approach? J

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
I will be charitable and simply say that after the switch, the manure pile got bigger and the shovel a whole lot smaller. We continue to work with Admin and are hoping for a solution in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts