Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday, I installed a frame of capped brood with two swarm cells to replace the package queen that failed to impress her sisters and they killed her.... I was told by the donor they would hatch either 4/20 or the 4/21....that being true, how long should I wait to check the frame for evidence that an emergence happened already?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am also new....first year, but have to BEE PATIENT...that said, what I WOULD LOVE TO DO is look in on 'em every day....LOL....!!!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Wait! Young queens don't like to have their home entered and pulled apart. They calm down after mating and laying for a while. If those cells emerged on the 21st you should have a laying queen 2 weeks later at the most. If not, then you can decide whether to buy a new queen or just get a frame of eggs/larva from your donor and let the bees make their own queen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look in on 'em around the 30th....I installed the 3lb. package on the 3rd of this month..it was fresh from Gardeners in GA....if I don't get some additional adult bees from somewhere, there won't be enough still alive to care for a good brood build-up pace, so I'm gonna try and get my pickup guy to get me a couple pounds of X-tra worker bees with my next package on the 30th....then add 'em in with the newspaper method and cross everything...LOL....this is not going as planned....bees are very picky about their monarchs.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last Saturday, I installed a frame of capped brood with two swarm cells to replace the package queen that failed to impress her sisters and they killed her.... I was told by the donor they would hatch either 4/20 or the 4/21....that being true, how long should I wait to check the frame for evidence that an emergence happened already?
When you placed the frame of capped brood w/cells into your hive did your have have any eggs/larvae or capped brood of its own?
Also were there any eggs on the capped frame you placed into the hive?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there were no eggs, larvae or brood of any sort that I could see on the new comb...that's why i put the queen cells in....and the board i put in I am unsure about except that it had capped brood, honey and pollen on it....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be careful and check the frame that you added with the cells on it. If you see eggs at any point in the inspection close it up. She is there and doing her job.
I ask about larvae and eggs on the donated frame because if the cell was damaged or not accepted they may have built another on that frame in a different location. Pending it could mean another cell not due for anothe 10 or so days. Just something to think about.

A more direct answer would be today or tomorrow unless you can hold out for saturday.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thanks...sounds like good advice...I have an additional question if I may?...I am going to be installing a new package in hive #2, right next to that one on friday evening, and wanted to know if I can borrow one of the newly-drawn frames from hive #1, to give my new package in hive #2, a head start?...If so, I will have to give the lending hive back an empty frame of foundation in return....if this is OK, should I take one from the ends that has very little bees on it, shake 'em off, and then put the exchange frame of foundation back in the same slot, or closer to the middle, to get 'em to draw out the exchange frame faster?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Package bees build new comb like its going out of style......feed them a bit, and wtch them go. Its awesome.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Adding a frame with drawn comb will help. That might get the queen laying a bit sooner. I'd say go ahead with your plan, and do shake off the bees before you transfer the frame.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when I "borrow" that frame for have #2, where's the best place to put the new foundation-only frame, to get the bees to draw it out quickly? Are there some sort of checkerboarding rules for that kind of action?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts