Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in CA. I lost my first hive over winter of 2012/2013. This hive I installed bees into last spring, and they came through winter beautifully. I did a hive inspection on the upper box (2 deeps) and the colony is strong and there is a lot of brood/syrup stores. 3 frames are empty on the right side, and 2 on the left. Looking down into the lower box, there appears to be activity there as well, but I didn't tear apart the hive to check the bottom box. We have many trees blooming and the bees are bringing in a lot of pollen now - the hive now has a honey smell to it when I walk up to it.

Do I wait to put on the super until they fill up the top box, or should I put it on now? I got them through winter, and I want to make sure I don't lose them to swarming now. I didn't see any supercedure cells in the top box.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I went ahead and put mine on a few weeks ago. I noticed I had a strong hive and I figured they would draw it out when they where almost done with the rest of the frames in the brood chamber. I checked them Friday and they had filled out about 6 empty frames in the brood chamber and are starting to work on the super. I would add it but you may get a different opinion from someone else. The bees will start to work like crazy and it may have a slow start so far but not for long!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts