Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken 5 frames out of a hive to make a Nuc. 2 with capped brood, one with eggs, one with capped honey and one with mostly pollen stores.

Do I add the caged queen immediately or wait 24 hours so they are aware they're queenless first?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I've taken 5 frames out of a hive to make a Nuc. 2 with capped brood, one with eggs, one with capped honey and one with mostly pollen stores.

Do I add the caged queen immediately or wait 24 hours so they are aware they're queenless first?
I would wait two hours, then add the caged queen.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I don't make a split until I have the queens in hand and then it Is usually not convenient to wait so I just build the split and put the cage in. Three days later I come and if the queen hasn't been released, I release her unless bees are aggressive on the queen cage toward queen. A body language thing.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I do it immediately if not sooner - using a standard (with nothing to speed it up like punching holes in the candy) candy release. It works fine that way without the complications of queen cells which may be started within 24 hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts