Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Greatuncle gave me my start in beekeeping (gave me equipment). I was getting my supers ready yesterday and found my frames were streaming with TERMITES. Not wanting to have them spread into my newer equipment, i burned the frames. But i don't know what to do with the ones in the hive (brood box) now. Will they cause a problem. Did i waste the frames by burning them? - Tim

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,042 Posts
Probably. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the termites LIVE in the ground and EAT the wood. If you move the equipment I believe the termites in the eqipment will just die.

You could read up on termites. But then frames that have been eaten by termites aren't going to be very strong.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Termites do live in the ground and travel to the food source (wood). That is the reason for the termiticide application methods and preventative building construction. If they did end up in the hive somehow, I'd wager that the bees would make short work of them. Give the woodenware a few sharp knocks to see if it sounds hollow if you want to check for termite damage. I'd suggest only doing that to an unoccupied deep!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts