Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In past years, I've always heard people say: wait until you see the bees bringing in pollen (or wait about 5 days, regardless) before moving the bait box to where you want it to stay (as a hive).

BUT ... at this year's state beek meeting, I heard people say: once the bees "calm down" right after you get them in a bait box (same day, for example), then relocate them to the permanent locale.

OK -- once and for all, which is the way to go? Does it matter?! :s

I'm asking cuz -- even as I type -- a swarm's moving into my bait box. Big swarm, too so I'd prefer not to make any screw-ups.

Thx mucho for any advice, anecdotes, pro opinions, guesses, etc.....

Mitch

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I usually wait for a week or so, that way it’s a pretty good assumption that they’ve set up shop, the queen is laying and they’re anchored to brood. That said, there’s a lot of guys that’ll move em out ASAP to make way for a empty box.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
If they are not at their permanent spot and I want them on an other at the same apiary, I move them as soon as most are in. Most of them seem to mark their location on the first time they leave, not on their first arrival. I now try to set my baits on permanent stands. I have no problems with bait swarms absconding unless they can not fit in the box they chose. I am never worried about working them too soon. If they went into a big stack of boxes I reorganize it immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvR0ybmcs1A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts