Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am new to beekeeping and I am wondering when the best time to requeen a hive is. Sorry if this is a redundant thread. Thank you for your help! :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
It depends on the reason you want to re queen.
The only reason I would re-queen a hive is if the old queen just isn't doing a good enough job. Pinch the queen and add a new one the next day.

If you want to re queen a hive every year just to keep a young queen, I would do it after the honey flow. This way she will go into the next year, which is her best, and build up before the honey flow.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I don't know about the best time because of so many variables and management strategies. But, early fall is a good time, queens are normally available, it also gives you a young queen going into winter. If you do it early enough in the fall to requeen again if anything goes wrong the first time.

·
Vendor
5,285 Posts
It depends on the reason you want to re queen.
The only reason I would re-queen a hive is if the old queen just isn't doing a good enough job. Pinch the queen and add a new one the next day.

If you want to re queen a hive every year just to keep a young queen, I would do it after the honey flow. This way she will go into the next year, which is her best, and build up before the honey flow.
(After the flow, the queens are cheaper (usually) more available and better mated.)

My philosophy as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! I guess I should have been more specific, I was wondering if the need to requeen should arise when would the best time of year be to do so. I think I have my answer now, it seems that the general time to do it is fall. The new queen won't really effect the colony until she starts laying in the spring, correct?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Timothy- requeen just before the flow. See " Honey in the Comb" by Eugene Killion. That management makes for lots of
honey and also good comb honey if one is interested, and you will have a young queen going into winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Timothy- requeen just before the flow. See " Honey in the Comb" by Eugene Killion. That management makes for lots of
honey and also good comb honey if one is interested, and you will have a young queen going into winter.
Thank you for that information. I truly appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts