Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my first bees on Tuesday and installed them in their box same day. I put 4, 1 quart 1:1 mixture of sugar water in the hive with them (so a total of 1 gallon). Couple of questions for the community:

• When should I go back to check on the queen to make sure she got out her box? The manual with the bees says 1 week, but most videos I see on YT say 3 to 4 days.
  • Should I refill the jars with more sugar water when I open the box next to give them another 1 gallon of sugar water or should I take them off the sugar water after this first 1 gallon?
  • If I should give them more, how much more and for how long?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick follow up to see if anyone had some insight on this question. I posted it in the middle of the night so not sure many people saw this question.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I can't recall ever having a queen not released after the 3rd day. I have left the cork over the candy on large hives for 3 days tho before removing the cork and exposing the candy and still it was within 3 days. So imo ,you'd be safe to look and if she is out, remove the cage.

Syrup will depend on strength of package (# of foragers/comb builders) and local nectar supply, I'd just make sure they are building comb and maybe storing a little without back filling all the laying space.

If you can locate a local beek/mentor familiar and willing to help with the workings of your area, that would prove invaluable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't recall ever having a queen not released after the 3rd day. I have left the cork over the candy on large hives for 3 days tho before removing the cork and exposing the candy and still it was within 3 days. So imo ,you'd be safe to look and if she is out, remove the cage.

Syrup will depend on strength of package (# of foragers/comb builders) and local nectar supply, I'd just make sure they are building comb and maybe storing a little without back filling all the laying space.

If you can locate a local beek/mentor familiar and willing to help with the workings of your area, that would prove invaluable.
Great feedback. Most videos/articles I've read point out to make sure the queen is out after 3 days. I put them in on Tuesday afternoon. Will check on her later today to make sure she got out. I just am not sure whether to continue feeding them. I want to make sure they've strong enough to survive without feeding them.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Most will check to see if the queen has been released 3,4 days. Opinions will differ but I would keep feeding until they won't take any. They need sugar water to make wax as well as to survive and grow. At some point when they have grown enough, drawn enough comb and have adequate nectar coming in from foragers, they will stop taking syrup. Until then, I would feed. Welcome to the hobby and forum. After you have confirmed that the queen has been released and refilled the syrup, stay out of the hive for a week. After that, just take a peek to see if you need to refill and if she is laying. Make it as brief as possible. J

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most will check to see if the queen has been released 3,4 days. Opinions will differ but I would keep feeding until they won't take any. They need sugar water to make wax as well as to survive and grow. At some point when they have grown enough, drawn enough comb and have adequate nectar coming in from foragers, they will stop taking syrup. Until then, I would feed. Welcome to the hobby and forum. After you have confirmed that the queen has been released and refilled the syrup, stay out of the hive for a week. After that, just take a peek to see if you need to refill and if she is laying. Make it as brief as possible. J
Thanks for the tip. I opened the box yesterday and the her cage was empty and they were drinking less sugar water than I would have anticipated. I'll definitely focus on getting in and out faster moving forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts