Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new packages in hives for a week and a day now. They are in 8 frame medium size boxes. When I checked them yesterday they had about 5 frames drawn out in each hive. I don't plan to check on them again until about 9 days from now, however I'm thinking that if it took them only a week to draw out that many frames, I will be having to put another box on sooner than 9 days. When should I add on?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The bees will draw what they can cover and then the comb drawing will slow down a little until your brood starts to hatch and the population increases. You can't put a time on when to add another super but observation will tell you when they are ready. Since you have a 8 frame box I would add the second when they have 6 frames drawn and are starting on the outside frames.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
If you're actively feeding light syrup, they'll likely be able to start drawing out a second box before 9 days. However as Beeslave says, if they hold on for a few days they'll be fine too. Move the undrawn frames in a place or two (but don't break up the brood nest) and they'll draw on them. I'd probably add the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts