Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I'm new to beekeeping & lost another hive last year due to starvation. I've since joined a local club, but I have a question & don't want to wait for our next meeting. I bought two nucs from a different beekeeper this year & can already see a huge difference in these bees. I bought them in late May & added a second deep mid June. Just checked yesterday & the second deep is about 1/2 full of brood, honey & pollen. I'm feeding both with a hive top feeder & sugar water. My questions are...How long should I continue to feed? And when (or should) I add a super? I'd love some honey but would rather they have enough to get through the winter this time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rosie,

Welcome to the forum and hope you have better luck with this years bees!

I'd keep feeding as long as they are taking it and I wouldn't put another super on until they have at least 7 frames drawn out with wax comb. If you put on supers too soon, they may not fill the outside frames at all. This could be the difference of your hives making it through the winter or starving depending your weather this winter.

Not sure where in Oregon you live, but there is still a lot of time for the bees to work on drawing out comb and if you continue to feed, you don't need to worry as much about whether or not there is a major flow on. If they stop taking the syrup, then there is a major flow and you could stop feeding until it's over.

You might check with your club and see if they have a library you can borrow from. Beekeeping for Dummies and The Backyard Beekeeper are a couple of great books for beginners. And don't discount the advise from your fellow club members. They've probably been keeping bees in your area for quite a while. If they've been successful, they must be doing something right!

Good Luck!

BB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I love my bee club, just can't make it to very many meetings as it's far away from where I live. Nice to have the forum for fast answers!

·
Registered
124 Posts
BuzzyBee is right, i have the beekeeping for dummies book and it has so much information for beginners. in that book it has what is called the 7 / 10 rule for adding boxes. the rule is that when 7 of the 10 brood frames are drawn add another brood box, when that has 7 of the 10 add a super, and so on. GOOD LUCK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts