Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you put the foundation in the center of the remaining brood nest or elsewhere. I've been told the bees with draw it back faster that way instead of putting them to the outside. Should "checkerboard" the 3 frames back in?

Thanks for your input,

Clark

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Foundation does not get drawn well unless tight together or one frame at a time between two frames of capped brood is my favorite place to draw a comb. The colony needs to be expanding or needing storage room to get good comb drawn IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I put back foundation I put in slots 1,3,5. There were brood frames with varying aged brood on both sides of 3&5. Hopefully this will not turn out wrong. She is a fast and productive queen. Out of all the frames in the brood box, only 1 was a honey frame. I was only going to take 2 frames for the split but since there was so much I took 3. Thanks for the input, if in a week they aren't pulling comb I may just shift all the foundation to the outside as I've always done.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I put back foundation I put in slots 1,3,5. There were brood frames with varying aged brood on both sides of 3&5. Hopefully this will not turn out wrong. She is a fast and productive queen. Out of all the frames in the brood box, only 1 was a honey frame. I was only going to take 2 frames for the split but since there was so much I took 3. Thanks for the input, if in a week they aren't pulling comb I may just shift all the foundation to the outside as I've always done.
On 50-60 hives this year I have checker boarded in 3 frames of foundation into my singles, pulling the brood above the excluder to coax them into the second box.
It has worked better than i hoped or expected. In some cases i put the frames in 3,5,7 in others i put them in 2,5,8. 60% were full of eggs/larvae 10 days later, 20% full of honey, and about 20% were undrawn or messed up comb. I found a few queens isolated on one side of the foundation, but overall it worked well, and I am continuing to do it when i need a new frame in the brood nest.
So far this year my 120 hives have drawn out 2000 frames of foundation.
Luke

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
> I've been told the bees with draw it back faster that way instead of putting them to the outside. Should "checkerboard" the 3 frames back in?

You should always be careful adding empty space to the middle of a brood nest. Depending on how strong they are, 3 frames might be fine or it might stress them out trying to keep the brood warm. I would make the gaps and watch how quickly they fill the gap with festooning bees. If they can't quickly fill it, I would not make that gap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checked the hive today and the bees have already pulled the comb from the foundation on the # 3 & 5 and half pulled frame #1. Thinks look good and they seem to have not missed a beat. I have been feeding 1:1 with Beehealthy in encourage them. Hive looks to be in great shape after the split. Thanks for all the comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts