Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one hive die out this winter when we had a severe freeze. It then rained nonstop for a week or so and although I cleaned out the bees, the frames had some issues.

Some of the frames have dead brood in them but in over good condition. Can I still use these without scraping out the wax, just let the new hive clean them out?

Some of the frames got mold on them. I scraped out the wax but hope I can clean the foundation and frames and reuse them?

Others got wax moth and after moving them out to the heat and light of the day I havent noticed any activity Does this kill them and should I clean up anywax moth signs before reusing?

When is it okay to reuse a frame and when would you consider it retired?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would reuse them, mold and all. The bees will clean them up and it will give them a big head start. I only remove comb if it's webbed up by wax moths. If I had issues with SHB I might scrap it when slimed. If there is one tunnel of webs running through a comb, I would just use it. If there are a lot, I might scrap it. Watch the bees clean up a wax moth comb and then decide which you think is less work. A really webbed up comb is more work for them than building one, but a slightly webbed one is less work to clean up than to build one...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts