Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our flow is all but over here. I added a medium 5 frame box to two cramped 5 over 5 nucs last week. I checked them this afternoon and not one speck of wax had been drawn on the foundation.

Does that mean it's too late to make splits, or is there a time when it's too late to make splits? I guess if I make them now that means I would have to feed all summer, is that correct? Would I also have to feed pollen sub?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I think september would be the absolute latest. We have a small amount of swarms then. I and other members have sucessfully over wintered fall swarms. Ideally earlier the better, bees can rapidly build back up during the flow and splits act as psuedo-swarms.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Our flow is all but over here. I added a medium 5 frame box to two cramped 5 over 5 nucs last week. I checked them this afternoon and not one speck of wax had been drawn on the foundation.

Does that mean it's too late to make splits, or is there a time when it's too late to make splits? I guess if I make them now that means I would have to feed all summer, is that correct? Would I also have to feed pollen sub?
We have made splits in mid July that built up enough to overwinter, with only being fed a few medium frames of honey (if at all). We are quite a bit north of you and the mountains make us quite a bit cooler as well. Our summer forage is pretty sparse. Established hives rarely draw any comb during the summer - sounds similar to you. Some years we get a good fall flow.

HTH,

Shane

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
No. it just means you have to feed them, even when the major flow is over there are usually enough plants in bloom to produce ample pollen.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If your flow is over and you are expecting them to draw foundation be prepared to buy a lot of sugar. There is plenty of time left for splits, but supplemental feeding will be necessary, especially as you approach the heart of the summer season.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, that's the situation. I would like to start about 8 more nucs, so I would need to feed them until the fall flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts