Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Western Virginia halfway between Roanoke and Harrisonburg, does anyone know when the main honey flow starts? I want to do a few cut down splits as describes by Michael Bush and it says timing is critical that the split should be done just before the main flow. I dont have a clue when that is. I can tell you Maples are budding now, Forsithia usually blooms the first week in March, Dandelions start popping up I think in early April. Our last frost is usually mid to late April. Thanks for your help.

[ February 25, 2007, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Ruben ]

·
Registered
76 Posts
When can you get Queens? You can always feed but sometimes it is hard to get queens. I always give syrup when making splits. They accept the new queen better if you feed them and it gives them a boost. How strong are your hives? Will they swarm if you wait for a flow? If you can split early they can build up before the main flow.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I watch for signs of pollen coming in if they are finding pollen they will also be bringing in nectar, look for information on what are the major or minor nectar plants in your area and keep notes on when bloom periods are in you area. I find watching plant cycles one of the fun things about beekeeping, and is very important in your management plan. It’s different in every area and will change form year to year depending on the weather. But generally time periods will range within days depending on the plants.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Good web page Limey, it’s interesting that about 95% of the honey plants you have in VA are the same ones we have in MI. yours are just a month earlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts