Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question on timing. I've got two nucs coming, on medium frames, and they're going to be 8 frames each. I'm looking at this weekend for pickup. Am I going to run into issues getting them so late? As a newb I'm not sure when is too late. Anything I should do once I do get them in place since the spring flow will be on it's way out? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi,
I'd have to guess that this is the right time of year for selling nucs where you live.
You will need to feed 1:1 as any other time of year staring on foundation, & needing to get you're 3 brood boxes drawn out before fall flow. I assume you're using 3 med. on each hive for brood boxes.
If the hive is lite going into winter you will need to feed then also.
If you know a local beekeeper, it could help you a lot to learn how the honey flows run, & how many boxes of honey they need for winter.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
For a beginner Winter is too late. Feed as suggested plus brood builder protein patties will encourage the queen to lay brood. Unless you live in a desert there should be something for them to gather. It may not be enough to extract every month. Between now and Winter they will build up stores.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping to get them both to three mediums for brood, and one or two boxes with stores to get them through the winter. It's been a long time :waiting: looking at the empty stand and all the empty boxes in the shed. Not to mention reading here about everyones spring build up. Ah well, the girls will be here soon and I'll have all the excitement I can stand then. KQ, the bees are from a club member so I'll be picking his brain for as much flow information as I can get. I'm sure we get a strong fall flow with all the goldenrod around here. I don't plan on any sort of harvest, except MAYBE one frame for comb for myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got one 5 frame nuc last year July 5, in 5 weeks it had 14 frames of brood, and I split it into 3 hives (bought 2 queens). Even though I lost one queen before winter (late Aug), that third hive still made it through winter. We are not known here for large nectar flows at any time but your local conditions will be the deciding factor for you.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Your bees have plenty of time to build up - you should be mindful that your goal is to build them up so they will make you a honey crop next year. So that said - if they draw out all your foundation this year and store enough nectar/syrup to get strongly through the winter - you'll be in good shape.

- Andrew (former resident of "metro west")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts