Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I’m at a bit of a stand sill on starting my first hive. I want to make sure no one in the family is allergic to bees (in case of a worst case scenario). Unfortunately I can’t manage to get any sort of appointment with an allergist until mid to late April.

If beekeeping become an option, when is the latest a nuc could likely successfully be installed? I realize it is different from region to region but what may a good indication/ sign I could look for?
(I can’t find any other keepers here in Albuquerque, so asking them seems to be a bit out of the question :( )

For that matter, does there exist any at home bee venom allergy test kit that I can use to circumvent any late Doctors appointment?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
This is a lot like a lottery ticket. The odds of winning if you don't buy a ticket are virtually the same as the odds of winning if you DO buy a ticket.

The odds of someone (other than the beekeeper) getting stung with a hive in your backyard and the odds of getting stung without a hive in your backyard are virtually the same. I've had one for 30 years and raised five childern (several of which still live with me). The only two that ever got stung: One was because I was extracting in the kitchen and one of the dying stragglers was on the floor and they got stepped on (by a barefoot child). The other was the one of my sons who had to try everything you told him not to. He was in front of the hive barefoot running around and stepped on one of the half dead that had been hauled out by the housecleaners.

But you could start a hive as late as june and probably get them strong enough to get through winter. The bigger question is can you get one then?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m personally not worried about the stings causing any real problem, but I until I can find a good paying job and support myself completely I’m afraid I’m living at my parents’ house. I made a promise to my (needlessly) panicked mother that I would not start beekeeping in our backyard if she proved to be dangerously allergic to bees. If she in fact is it will be a few years before I have my own place and my own bees. (On that note does anyone have a job for a recent CS Grad
?)

As for getting a nuc I may have a 50/50 chance that a beekeeper 40mi or so down the road may have a spare. I figured worse comes to worse I will have my hive and equipment ready for next year if I can’t get the bees this year, but I did not want to bother this year if I knew it was too late to start a hive.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
(On that note does anyone have a job for a recent CS Grad ?)
If you have a CDL and can pass a drug test you can start this afternoon up here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a CDL..
Assuming you mean a Commercial Driver's License, I'm afraid not.

·
Registered
971 Posts
In one of the other forums was a real good link to some stats. on stings and other deaths, I found them really good reading. Check them out.
Was your mom stung with a honey bee, yellow, wasp or what??? It does make a difference,IHMO, I belive the toxins are different?? Also how savear was her reaction??? ER?? Or swelling?? Swelling is the most common type of reaction to bee stings, the sevear type is when and if you experiance difficultiy breathing, dizzyness, confuseion, then the trip to ER.
If your mother is still against your keeping bees maybe you can find someone that will allow you to keep a few on their property???
Some trucking companies used to allow you to take a CDL test with them (their rigs) if you passed the written and were willing to contract to them for a period of time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hold Bee in palm of right hand.
Slap right (palm open)hand to back of neck.
If not dead in 1 hour.
Save a Dr. Bill.
Enjoy your bee's.
This year.
:D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SilverFox:
She was never stung; she simply has a unsubstantiated phobia. I have given her material to read and quoted statistics, but phobias are phobias and she still has a fear of bees. It is likely grounded in the fact that she is asthmatic and has a handful of other know allergies (though no known insect allergies) and she wants to be very careful.
It is her property after all so if she wants to test for allergies first to help ease her decision I’ll let her do such. If she does test positive I see it as only a minor delay, I am dead set on keeping bees at some point, I just have to wait until I can afford my own property.

I have though about beekeeping on other people’s property, but Albuquerque being the hustling and bustling city it is (seriously) there really isn’t any other property to keep bees on other than residential. So far the only other near by person I can find that shares my interest in bees and beekeeping is my fathers, seeing how he lives with my mother I’m dealing with the same backyard and thereby the same issues.
If I were to keep the to from my own property, I’m afraid I would not be able to enjoy them quite as much. It is a lot easier to visit and tend to them in my backyard then have to drive 20 miles away.

mark:
I’ve discussed such methods of operations, she did not seem too happy with them. I thought it was a good idea. Also that way our health insurance would take care of the ER bill and it would there by be cheaper than an allergist out of pocket.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What Michael said earlier is gospel. I'm the only person in this family of 4 who has ever been stung by them. The neighbors are a real strict form of Mennonite (no TV or anything like that) and I invited two of their younger boys to come over and watch me inspect the hive (I think they were 8 and 10). The whole family of 10 ended up coming and brought lawn chairs and cameras. I tried not to laugh, because I didn't want to be rude. They even brought their grandparents!! Anyway, I was showing the boys the frames, and the queen and such and with all of those people that close to the hive I was opening, not one of them got stung. They love the bees now and keep begging me to put a nuc in their extensive garden. Also just found out that my younger brother had some friends over paintballing and one of his moron friends thought it would be funny to start shooting my hives. If I were a bee, that would have done it for me and he would have been dead meat. Unfortunately, they didn't sting him. That's not to say I didn't.

·
Banned
922 Posts
east...the stupidity of some kids constantly amazes me...though I shouldn't be suprised since I've done some pretty dumb things myself.

The guy I bought out 2 weeks ago had some kids living nearby that were like your brother's friend...thought hives were cool paintball target. Daily.

As a result I have 60 psychedylic colored hives on three trailers...and I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to pretty, white, PRISTINE hives. Every time I look at them it drives me nuts. Oh well, they'll get painted in the fall after I pull the last honey so I have time to swap frames to deeps I have ready and waiting...

BubbaBob

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a problem with this once before (nobody tell, because this is probably a lawsuit waiting to happen) and I really got fed up with it. Talked to the kids' parents, who didn't care, talked to the kids, who didn't care, talked to the local cops, who didn't care. Well, that situation just spells vigilante justice to me.

So what do I do? I put all of those boy scout and deer hunting skills I learned so long ago to good use. I went and got MY paintball gun (a high-powered one that I turned up all the way), put on a light colored turkey hunting cammo outfit and sat in a tree in my beeyard. It was cool getting to watch the hives from that perspective, and sure enough, there came the same kids with their paintball guns. I let them get close enough that they were about to start shooting my hives again and just completely opened up on them. It was like the landing at Normandy. I didn't know they could run that fast. They didn't know what the hell was going on, and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Misread your post. What ever you do don't tell that bee don't sting at night, told my wife that once, just once, putting honey supers that had been extracted back on to be cleaned and one nailed her in between her toes, she was wearing sandles. I haven't heard the end of it yet, and that was 2yrs ago.
A bees stings only as a last resort and only once, not like yellow jackets, wasps, and hornets.
Hope for the best for you.
Maybe she'll overcome her fear, introduce her to that beekeeper 40 miles from you, take her out there and let him show her around maybe that will help.
Another thing is that honey from your local area can and does help with asmia (?) alot of people I know who have asmia use honey to relive symptoms, and they all say it helps, have her talk to her Doctor about it, he may even agree.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The though of local honey helping her asthma and allergies and being better for her than sugar (as she is border line diabetic) is a major pull in my favor. Not to mention the wonderful things it will do for our garden that was barely pollinated last year due to lack of wild bees.

I have though about bringing her to the local natural history museum when they had an observation hive going, but she down right refused. I’m sure taking her to a pro-beekeeper would likely gather the same results. She has already stated that she will refuse to ‘enjoy’ the back yard if I do get bees. I think my only hope to introduce her to a hive would be to either trick her or slowly coax her in to the yard day by day if I get one; and I don’t think tricking her would gain me any points.

I realize that her phobia exists and I will treat it with respect, doing the best I can. If the unfortunate happens, and all fails I will only be put off for a year or two. I am determined to keep bees in some capacity; I may simply have to wait a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts