Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the new queen has eggs and young larva is it OK to move the nucleus colony to a new yard or is it safer to wait until she has capped brood?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I wonder what difference it would make. Are you concerned about shocking the new brood?

I have pretty much stopped worrying about moving colonies, unless they are weak. If I move one 50 feet across the yard there are always a bunch of lost foragers, but they seem to find their way home eventually. I figure they end up in various hives nearby. If it's a weak hive then maybe they can't afford to lose that many foragers.

Hope one of the old pros replies. It's an interesting question and I don't know the answer.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If the new queen has eggs and young larva is it OK to move the nucleus colony to a new yard or is it safer to wait until she has capped brood?
If it is a few miles move you wont lose foragers; same yard you will. My guess is that eggs and open brood is a better anchor than capped brood.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for your response, my concern is that they don't kill the new Queen? I have been under the impression that a newly made in Queen is slightly vulnerable To the bees balling and killing her.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your response, my concern is that they don't kill the new Queen? I have been under the impression that a newly made in Queen is slightly vulnerable To the bees balling and killing her.
Well, try not to stress them too much during the move... It is not the physical relocation that may get them upset, but your actions- rough ride, overheating, etc. Still it is not that common for bees to kill the young queen for no reason, if anything they will try to supersede her nicely if they don't like her. In any case I would not worry myself too much, just do what you have to do and bees will adapt.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for giving me confidence!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always wait a day or 2 after inspecting a hive to make sure the frames are sold before moving so they don't rock and kill excess bees.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is also a really good point, thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I stuff a little steel wool in the entrance, grab the colony, put it in my trunk and take it immediately to the new location. Less than 1/2 hour closed and so far no bad results. The steel wool allows a small amount of air to seep in which maybe helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts