Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the final stages of raising my first batch of new colonies. They started in a 3/3 (medium) mating castle last month and graduated to 5 frame boxes last Sunday, June 1. Checked on them yesterday the 8th and was surprised to find all three Nucs had three full frames of brood 90% capped on both sides. Additionally, the outer frames, which were foundationless were 80% drawn and close to full of nectar and a bit of pollen.

They won't have any new bees emerging till next Saturday but I am a bit concerned that the queen may be out of room to lay unless they will take brood to the outer frames? Would hate to see them get swarmy if nit. Daytime temps are 75-80, nights are 50 for the foreseeable future.

Are the ready to graduate to a single 10 frame box or should I wait a little longer? Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If it were me and mine were building up quickly, and my temp's were like yours, and all things considered equal, I wouldn't hesitate to put them into a full size box, entrance reduced accordingly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. I did install them and put jar feeders over the inner cover to help them draw comb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts