Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got two packages hived in yesterday morning, have queen excluders on for now to try to prevent absconding. They have frame feeders with syrup, and seem to be settling in ---- I put in two drawn frames with a good 'old' scent to them. Added a touch of LGO to the box as well.

I don't want to bother them at all for several days. Queens were great and direct released after several days with their bees.

Questions i have are:

1. How soon is it safe to remove the excluders so the drones can fly, and dead taken out easier, etc. I really don't want to risk them absconding.

2. They are ( this is the second morning after hiving ) mostly flying around the hives, I am presuming orientating but its more than that, just tons of activity at the bottom entrances and flying above the hives -- Ive seen some of them in the yard but most are around the hives. I am guessing they are just getting acclimated?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
When they have started brood-rearing, the odds are with you, but keep in mind that there are no "always" in beekeeping. Genetic variation makes it so.
Walt

·
Registered
237 Posts
3 weeks and they should be settled any soon is a risk I'm told . They should also be at least 20 feet apart or more I have learnt in that time . After 3 weeks they can be side by side . On the excluders I haven't every used I would agree with as posted above a week .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys ... I appreciate the insight! I'll leave them on for now then!

Just went out and checked and they are still buzzing in front of the hives, down the sides, and up in the air overhead of them. They seem very excited, and a few are fanning Nasonov here and there. They've been doing this flying over and around the hives and not seeming to go anywhere since 9 AM and its 4 30 PM now.

Hope that's normal and just excited but happy bees getting settled .... seems like a long time for orientation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts