Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've gone into the winter (albeit mild compared to many of you) with a partially filled honey super at about 15% capped, and the rest open.

So far, the days get warm enough that the bees come out and forage for some period of time.

The frames that I'm referring to are left over from my last harvest. At that time, the current capped honey was not capped, so I left it in the super. The honey I did extract at that time is now in my home and has fully crystalized (Boo!).

My question is, what happens to/with honey that has crystalized in frames? Can it be extracted later? Will the bees use it if I scratch the caps off?

I am hoping that the warmth of the colony below will keep the honey from crystalizing. To be sure, my kitchen (where I store my honey), is colder than the hive interior.

Thanks.

DG

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>what happens to/with honey that has crystalized in frames?

In the hive? It will get consumed, but it is usually left for last. They take liquid more quickly.

>Can it be extracted later?

Not easily. If it's not completely solid and it's pretty warm, you can somtimes get some of it out of the frame, but a lot stays.

>Will the bees use it if I scratch the caps off?

Not as readily as liquid, but yes they will.

>I am hoping that the warmth of the colony below will keep the honey from crystalizing.

I won't necessarily keep it from crystalizing.

>To be sure, my kitchen (where I store my honey), is colder than the hive interior.

I don't know how cold your kitchen is, nor how cold it is outside in Novator CA, but I would think not. The interior of the hive anywhere that the cluster isn't, is not a lot warmer than the outside temperatures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts