Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to catch her and cage her, or can I simply put the frame with her on it, back in the hive I took it out of 10 days ago.
I want to grow some queen cells for my queen castle. I'm going to remove a frame with the queen on it. Along with a frame of honey, brood and nurse bees. Wait 10 days and pull the queen cells for my queen castle and put the queen and her frame of brood and bees back. That would be a lot easier than catching and caging her. Will they take her back, or will she be foreign to them after 10 days and I’ll have to cage her?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I can't say that I have tried it, but MP states that he can take a laying queen from one hive and walk her right into another queenless hive without caging her for introduction. I personally have done newspaper combines with good luck.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
You can always test their reaction with a queen cage. If they know they're queenless it's always a good start. Personally, I'd reintroduce with a cage, but I've direct released bought queens before without issue. it's all about guaging their reaction with a simple test of putting the caged queen on the topbars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts