Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I thought I was so smart when I waited in the autumn harvest and got about 300 pounds of beautiful amber colored honey. Unfortunately it has one of the most unpleasant flavors I've ever tasted. My guess is that it is due to the Queen Ann's lace. Usually the bees do not touch the stuff but this fall they were all over it.

I've given it to others to see if it is acceptable to their tastes.... "Hmmm, unusual." "Interesting aftertaste". And comments like that. So sadly I won't be able to sell the stuff. I couldn't even stand the flavor in my bread. I figured I would give it back to the bees in the spring. Usually I give them some syrup with HBH. I've never given them honey before. Do I just add it straight to the syrup? Give plain? Pour it in the feeder? (Won't they get stuck?) HOw do I do it? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.... sort of. Can't say I've ever eaten dirty socks :) But there certainly is an unusual odor. I used some in my marinade tonight and it too was not so good. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Find a mead maker and see if they would like to buy it. I once saw a post on a forum by a mead maker who claimed to have been sold 10 gallons of honey for pennies per pound because it "smelled like a barnyard." Imagine his delight when he opened the containers to find 10 gallons of western buckwheat honey in prime condition...

The point is that a lot of things that we might think of as "ikky" mellow out and and very interresting flavors when fermented.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts