Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our season over here in Northern Portugal seems to be getting under way. The early bloomers are looking great and the bees are out in force. Here are a couple of pictures:

http://blog.corujas.net/spring-is-upon-us

When does the season start where you are? How do you know when to start inspecting, swarm trapping, etc? Curious to know how that works around the world.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
On warmer days here in east Tennessee, my bees are flying and bringing in what seems to be maple pollen. The ground level early nectar/pollen plants like henbit and purple deadnettle hopefully are coming soon, but I haven't seen any blooming yet.

My swarm traps are still in place from last year, but I will freshen them up with a few drops of lemongrass oil in perhaps two weeks.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
-10 BELOW the next week or so at night in these parts no end in site yet.
I'm surprised I even have bees after this winter it has been a long cold one.
I hate winter so much!:(

·
Registered
219 Posts
In south Louisiana our season is beginning. Clovers, willows, and Blackberry are just starting to bloom. The bees are expanding like crazy. One hive I saw was starting swarm cells.

·
Registered
69 Posts
20140222_150636.jpg

your right about that Glock , this winter was brutal bad here and still is in Nazareth,Pa
lost two out ta 4 hives, what ever hives make it through this winter are Genetics i want to split right away :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
We are well under way in North Florida Splits made, queens due to hatch tomorrow. Looks like we will have some days in the 80's next week. Moving to the Orange groves Friday.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The second week of April with the dandelion bloom.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
What are type of material did you use for the bottom board in one of the pics? Cement or plastic board?

Or season has kinda already begun with the first pollen coming on last week. Nearly all the nectar from now thru april goes into brood. They love creeping charlie blooms, I usually don't see much activity on dandelions. We don't hit the main flow and big surplus until May

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
The first pollen has often come with the elms and river birch blooming when the ground is still frozen solid about now, but this year we are locked in a cold winter. This weekend the temperatures are going to be -20 to -30 F and that is not with wind chill. Up to a foot of snow coming with it. I doubt we will have anything blooming that will provide nectar until mid April at the earliest. I spent the day out on a lake catching yellow perch as fast as I could drop the bait back to the bottom. Too bad they were mostly too small for me to keep. I did bring home twenty.

Is this the normal time for your blooms in Portugal? Is your season early or late?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Here near our capital city, Washington D.C. our winter is still going on. We expect to see some blooms in about 10-20 days from now.

Our weather has not been warm enough to risk doing a complete inspection. I hope to do an inspection around March 10.

Phil

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
>>we're close here. need just a week or so of decent weather and the skunk cabbage and maples will be blooming.

>>Honey-4-All: Ca. sure sounds like 'Heaven on Earth' from what I've read on here.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
887 Posts
already getting pollen on warm days....And after looking quickly earlier this week, I think they may actually be getting a little nectar as well.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
>>we're close here. need just a week or so of decent weather and the skunk cabbage and maples will be blooming.

>>Honey-4-All: Ca. sure sounds like 'Heaven on Earth' from what I've read on here.:rolleyes:
Sometimes all "Heaven" can be Hell. Ain't complaining but at times the other side of the fence with 10 feet of snow and 6 month off sounds like a tempting option! Just kidding...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here near our capital city, Washington D.C. our winter is still going on. We expect to see some blooms in about 10-20 days from now.

Our weather has not been warm enough to risk doing a complete inspection. I hope to do an inspection around March 10.

Phil
Two years ago our nectar flow started at the beginning of March. Last year, the end of March. This year it is looking like even later w/ how cold the ground is. I expect to not see blooms until the beginning of April at the earliest--and I am beginning to think this is optimistic. Unless we have a sudden warm up and days stay in the 50s consistently I think it may be Mid April for the start of the flow this year.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Nice pic of the blooming plum tree in the background and the red hot poker torches. At least I think it is a plum tree. Our Spring is a bit early for this year starting around mid-Jan when the wild mustards are blooming. These plants will hold for almost 2 months of bloom time as long as the weather stay cool enough. I am not sure but thinking these are from last year's growth blooming in this Spring. Will collect some seeds to try later this season. On top of that we have the real edible mustard greens that bloom
from Feb. to March and into April as well. Blooming now are the almond, plum, apricot, peach, loquat and canola. In another 2 weeks there will be pear blossom follow by apples around the end of April to early May. There are other flowers to supplement these fruit trees as well. If you are concern about the July and August months then plant some clovers and bee bee trees for them. Some strawberrys are ever bearing varieties blooming until the first frost. I think 100 bee bee trees that bloom in July/August will
help them a lot. Vitex is good I'd read so I planted some of those too and some goldenrods for a late Fall harvest. Borage is an excellent plant from early Spring to late September but they are invasive if not contain their spreading seeds. There are many more plants and veggies that I discover that are good for the bees too. Do your own research and read up on the planting and garden forum here. I am sure you will find something good for your animals and for the bees too.
Right now I have almost 8 frames full of capped broods ready to hatch in about 2 weeks. The worker bees are bringing in pollen and nectar like crazy even on a rainy day like today. I don't think they are hungry when I gave them patties, syrup and lots of honey frames inside. Maybe they like the natural stuffs better. Or they know we are having a drought year so are preparing for it while everything is still blooming. Who knows! I think you have a good location to split up to 100 hives or more. Some cover crops will take care of the hot summer months. Do you have 4 seasons also? And are those brown boards and landing board at the bottom of the hive compressed plastic or woods? Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts