Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a four month old daughter. So, I have begun to consider when might be the best time/method to start bringing her to the bee-yard. Any suggestions? Tips? How do you make it a "fun" time? Best equipment for children? I spend a fair amount of time in the bee-yard, since I raise queens and nucs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I started my yougest at about 2 she loves the bees I keep her back about 3-4 feet from the hive and will hand her a bee or 2 she will hold them in her hand and laugh and sometimes talk to them she has a very gentle touch and has never been stung my oldest is 5 she will help me build frames and boxes in the bee yard she can spot brood and eggs she loves to help find the queen

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
my 2 started helping at about 4 yrs old. they have proper suits. my daughters first job was prying open lids with a hive tool. my son opens and closes when i am feeding and things like that. this year they are 10 and 7 and i will put each of them in charge of a hive. we'll see who has the healthiest bees, most honey, etc...

·
Registered
208 Posts
My son is 7 and loves to help he has his own suit.... My daughter is 10 and had a bad experience with some hornets so she is too anxious.... I tried once and I thought she was going to faint.... My son thinks he runs the show and gets involved....

·
Registered
137 Posts
my boys are 10 and one is interested and watches as i work hives the other is terrified of bees and runs away.... might get a small suit and see if that calms him down and if not the braver son can start helping out.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My second oldest helped me lift hives into almonds last year and he was 11, but has been helping with the bees since he was 9. My oldest is 13 and wants a paintball gun so i told him if he helps me move them into almonds this year i would help him, and he did! And he doesn't have the slight bit of interest in bees, but after that night, I think he does now!

My youngest is 9 and has been around the bees since he was 6 and likes to help as well. Then my daughter who is 10 likes to do the honey extracting/bottling end of things!

I think when you think your kids are ready to go to the bee yard is completely up to you, just make sure they are protected so they don't get stung and never want to go again!

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
When my oldest was five, he had a bee suit and I would throw him up on the truck and he would happily slide supers to the side of the truck bed for me. I only had to jump up to break down stacks. He felt really important going out to work with dad. He wanted to be there. A kid who doesn't want to be there is never old enough. As Master Bush said, the fastest way to ruin a puppy or a kid is to work them past when it is fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone! Here is a picture of one of my buddy's kids. His name is Peter. I helped his dad get started into bees. I think this little guy was more comfortable with bees than his dad was. I love this picture! :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts