Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding it difficult to find a time line on when to expect wax moth infestation. I know you're safe in winter and supposedly when the frames are expose to sunlight and air (though I've had some infestations when storage was in a sunny place with plenty of air. I would just like a temperature guideline that I could follow so I would know when I need to use moth crystal or my freezer for protection.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You asked a very good question.

I don't know the answer to this.

But as a gardener, I can tell you that I do see a lot of insects do tend to have a certain season they come out. I look forward to some of the veterans answers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am finding moths right now, early Feb, in the corners of my telescoping covers. I don't know if they can lay eggs yet, but the moths have already arrived. (NW LA)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You asked a very good question.

I don't know the answer to this.

But as a gardener, I can tell you that I do see a lot of insects do tend to have a certain season they come out. I look forward to some of the veterans answers.
Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am finding moths right now, early Feb, in the corners of my telescoping covers. I don't know if they can lay eggs yet, but the moths have already arrived. (NW LA)
Thanks. I live in W Central Texas so I shouldn't be far behind. This cold front coming in toward weekend should slow them some.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When the hive is weak.

Over the past year, I did find a couple of adult months on the outside of my hive and one on the inside. I think it was around October when I saw them.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
I left a nuc in my shed with drawn brood comb. I pulled it's out today to properly put it away and it was too late. It already has grubs and webbing on it. So for my area, now is the time.

I'll leave them out in the sun and see if that does anything. Otherwise into the freezer and then into plastic bags until they can be used.

Hopefully you can find a keeper in your area that would have a better answer on timing. I'm sure location is everything.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Here in Nebraska, in a typical year, with a typical winter, I don't see hardly any wax moths until July. But some years are not typical. A mild enough winter and an early enough spring can change that to May... Some years I don't see them until August.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts