Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I combined two hives this afternoon. One of the hives is weaker, it has no queen and had 10-15 queen cells (I removed these). The Strong hive is on the bottom with a marked queen that I observed before closing it up. There is newspaper between the two hives with perforations. The bees should eat through the newspaper over the next 3 days and will be one big happy family since they will both be accustom to each other's smell. My mom, who is an experienced ex-beekeeper, confirmed that she's done this in the past and it works like a charm.

I watched a bunch of Youtube videos, read some how-to's online and did it by the book. Please see attached image.

The how-to's I read said not to leave an opening in the weak hive's deep. For example, if an inner cover is used, it said not to put the notch side towards the weak hive where the bees could leave. Note, I didn't use an inner cover, but I'm feeding the weak hive.

My concern is heat. Tomorrow will be 95 degrees F and there's no ventilation for the weak hive at all. Did I just build a cruel death box for these poor bees or is it OK? If it is a problem, how do I create ventilation for the weak hive?

Thanks,
Michael

hive-question.jpg

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
You don't need to create a ventilation opening for the top deep. The bees will chew holes through the newspaper in a very short time and they will cool the top box with no help needed from the beekeeper.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like the hive swarmed and that's why it appears smaller. Did you shake each frame and totally make sure there are no cells? Miss one and she may kill your marked queen. I would have left them alone. Maybe even make up some nucs with all the cells.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the advice on this. Luckily it rained today, so it wasn't so hot. It sounds like the heat will be good motivation for the bees to get chewing on the newspaper. ;) Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crab414,
Thank you for the information. That's a great idea with the nuc cells. Unfortunately the queen that was in the original weak hive wasn't very productive with laying, so we didn't want to keep her genetic line going. I'm sure there could be a host of other reasons other than genetics that she was a poor egg layer, but we decided to go ahead and combine it with another more productive hive. Thanks again for the insights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts