Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I put together my swarm traps in 5 fram nucs. Two days later, one of them (in the balcony of my porch) seems to have caught a swarm. I know I should not disturb them for a while. On the other hand, I have some deep frames of capped honey that I really want to give them (adding them on another 5-frame nuc on top of them). The question is: when is it safe to open up the outer cover, add
another 5-frame nuc with some capped honey frames and close them up? Temperatures are not an issue. Thanks a lot, Stavros

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you have drawn comb to add to your trap? That would probably help them stay. Some of the folks around say to not disturb them for a week or two to let them start building up brood and make them want to stay.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, in the 5-frame nuc that they currently are located, there are 3 frames of drawn comb and pollen, and 2 empty frames (no foundation) for them to draw.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Stavros - I'm sure you've probably caught a swarm, but the mention of having pollen in the trap led my mind back to last wk-end when I put out a swarm trap and within a day or two I had a couple hundred bees "checking" it out. We're still a few weeks (if not more) from swarm season, so after my initial excitement that I may be catching a swarm, I opened up the box and found that I had accidently put in one drawn frame that was covered with pollen on one side. They weren't interested (yet) in swarming...they were interested in robbing my pollen!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtndewluvr, you were right. I peeked into the swarm box today and there were no bees there. Only a couple of bees, taking pollen. I guess pollen is really attractive to them though we have loads of it in Atlanta. I suppose swarm feever starts in a couple more weeks here. I saw some very fat drones coming out of my hives today. Thanks a lot, Stavros

1 - 6 of 6 Posts