Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a split this week. I checked my strong hive, but did not see any drone brood or drones flying. I don't want to have the new queen emerge in the split hive before there are drone available for mating. When is it safe to make the split?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't see where in Ohio you are but my strongest hives have drones emerging now and plenty of capped drone brood emerging in the next week. If you are close to me I'd wait another week and make your walk away split. By the time she emerges and matures you should be good to go.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
Hi Dulley, Look in the swarm thread for Ohio. I would think when the swarms start there should be drones. Here in Mich. I am thinking 3rd week of May. That would put mating in early June. Good Luck
GG

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If you are going to let your hives raise their own queens you may want to wait on splitting until you get closer to the normal time period for swarming, maybe a week earlier than you would typically expect to see your first swarms of the season.

We usually start seeing the first stages of swarm prep in mid April, and swarms leaving the hives in early May. I'm north of you in Ohio so you are probably a week or so ahead of us in southern Ohio. My guess is only a week or so away for you for splitting.

Check your hives at 4 or 5 pm in the afternoon. If you start seeing a large number of drones returning in that time period you should be good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to make a split this week. I checked my strong hive, but did not see any drone brood or drones flying. I don't want to have the new queen emerge in the split hive before there are drone available for mating. When is it safe to make the split?
I was in my hives today. There was drone brood and drones in my hives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts